In today’s Oceanside Dental Excellence post, we share some fun facts about dentistry. Enjoy!
- Before there was formal dental training and licensing, barbers often performed dental procedures. But did you know that blacksmiths also moonlighted as dentists?1 How would you like your dental visit to involve tools used to hammer hot metal?
- The Mayans were accomplished cosmetic dentists. One smile style in Mayan culture was bejeweled teeth – a procedure that involved the drilling of holes to embed precious gems. That’s a grill with major bling!
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough to fill up two swimming pools. (Not a very pleasant image, right?)
- Nylon toothbrush bristles weren’t introduced until 1938. Prior to that, pig hair was a common bristle material. (“Mom, my toothbrush smells like bacon!”)
- A popular toothache treatment in medieval Germany was to kiss a donkey.3There is no evidence that it actually worked and it is unknown if the same remedy was used by donkeys.
- Every person’s tongue is unique – just like a fingerprint.
- In medieval Japan, black teeth were considered appealing. Style-conscious women used roots to stain their teeth.
At Oceanside Dental Excellence, you won’t find pig hair, donkeys, or anvils. You will find first rate dental care and our committed team of dental professionals. Our menu of services includes: Invisalign, implant supported dentures, and porcelain veneers. Contact Oceanside Dental Excellence today at 760-439-3400 to schedule an appointment today.
Contact Oceanside Dental Excellence:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):